Penang Art District & Can Can Public Art are searching for 30 street artists to be part of the Penang International Container Art Festival (PICAF) 2019!
The PICAF Urban Art Competition is a collaboration between Penang Art District and Can Can Public Art, the Festival Organiser of the Penang International Container Art Festival (PICAF) 2019. 30 shortlisted finalists of the competition will be exhibited at a group show and invited to create container art during the Urban Art Competition Finale in December, alongside 10 featured renowned Malaysian and international street artists for the Penang International Container Art Festival (PICAF) 2019.
The Grand Prize winner will be selected from the final production of container art to walk away with RM 10,000 cash.
An international street art festival, organised by Can Can Public Art, featuring container art to celebrate the vibrant art scene in Penang. To elevate Penang’s international identification as the street art capital in Southeast Asia, the city is in constant search for creative spark and energy, and continuously pushes the boundaries of art towards making Penang a street art pilgrimage site.
CATEGORIES & PRIZES
Jury’s Choice Award
Consolation Prize (x2)
Participants are required to email a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following details before the closing date:
- the Participant’s personal information;
- the Participant’s artist statement
- a photo of the artwork produced (image quality not lower than 72 dpi)
- the title of the artwork for this competition;
- the year of production of the artwork for this competition;
- the dimension (Length x Width x Thickness) of the artwork for this competition;
- the medium(s) and message intended to be conveyed of the artwork for this competition; and
- the images of the artwork for this competition
Delivery of physical artwork to be made upon announcement of the 30 finalists for the group exhibition.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
- PICAF Urban Art Competition (“the Competition”) is open to all Malaysian citizens and Permanent Residents of Malaysia, excluding the employees of Penang Art District and their immediate family members, its promotion agencies, advertising agencies, PR agencies and any associate companies.
- This Competition is held in Malaysia only.
- Each participant is only allowed to submit only ONE entry.
- Medium is open and can include spray paint, acrylics, oil painting, ink, or mixed media.
- The finished artwork can be in any shape or form provided it is 2-dimensional hanging display within the minimum of 2ft x 2ft or a maximum size of 4ft x 4ft.
- The quality of the photo for the application has to be 1000×1000 px minimum, more than 72 dpi
- The artwork(s) submitted by the Participants must be originally produced by the Participant.
- Any participant found to have submitted more than one entry shall be disqualified.
- All artwork will be judged based on the following criteria and each criteria will carry 25%:
- Originality and creativity
- Concept and ideas
- Use of medium / Artistic finish
- Overall impression
- All costs incurred in participating in this Competition (including the framing of the artworks and delivery) shall be at the sole expense of the participants.
- The organiser reserves the right to extend any date specified for the Competition contain herein and the decision will be made at the sole discretion of Penang Art District.
- The organiser reserves the right to change, suspend or vary the Competition’s Terms and Conditions contain herein at any time, wholly or in part by way of posting such changes on Penang Art District’s official website or in any other way deemed suitable by the organiser without prior notice to the participants and the decision will be made at the sole discretion of Penang Art District.
- By participating in this Competition, the participants agree to be bound by the Competition terms and conditions contain herein (“Terms and Conditions”) and to the decisions of Penang Art District shall be final and binding in all respects.
- The Terms and Conditions shall be governed by laws of Malaysia and the participants hereby agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in Malaysia and consent to service of process by mail or in any other manner permitted by the laws of Malaysia.
- A waiver (whether expressed or implied) by Penang Art District of any of these Terms and Conditions or of any breach of or default by a participant in performing any of its obligations under these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a continuing waiver and that waiver shall not prevent the organiser from acting on any subsequent breach of or default by the participants under these Terms and Conditions.
- Penang Art District shall not be responsible nor shall accept any liabilities of any nature and however arising or suffered by the participants and/or any third parties resulting directly or indirectly from the conduct of the participants to participate in this Competition
FESTIVAL PARTICIPATION TERMS
- Finalists for the competition will be participating in the Penang International Container Art Festival 2019 by producing container art during the Urban Art Competition Finale in December 2019.
- Site location for the finalists’ container art will be predetermined by Can Can Public Art (“Festival Organiser”).
- Finalists are required to be based in Penang during the production of container art in December. Accommodation in Penang will be provided for the finalists.
- Finalists are required to complete their container art within 10 days of the production period (dates to be confirmed).
- Further contract terms between the artists and the Festival Organiser will be discussed upon notification of the 30 finalists.
- The Festival Organiser reserves the right to change, suspend or vary the Festival Participation Terms contain herein at any time, wholly or in part by way of communicating such changes with the finalists or in any other way deemed suitable by the Festival Organiser and the decision will be made at the sole discretion of the Festival Organiser.