2020, what a year. It has been unexpected and unprecedented to us all; starting off the year in isolation, and having to relearn societal norms.
Spotlight by Penang Art District returns with its 2020 edition, offering young aspiring and emerging artists the opportunity to undergo an intensive mentorship with an art professional and showcase their body of works in a solo exhibition. Welcoming applications from all over Malaysia, Spotlight 2020 is an open call for artists aged 30 and below.
This year, Spotlight 2020 calls for reflections on 2020— What have you been doing? What have you been thinking of? How have you been feeling? Are you revisioning different ways of looking at others, at the world? Are you taking this time to start new ways of doing, exploring previously set-aside creations to see what comes out of it… or not come out of it?
There is no specific theme for the purpose of the application but applicants are encouraged to reflect on the questions above.
Participants are required to email a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following details before the closing date:
- the Participant’s personal information;
- the Participant’s artist statement
- the title of the artwork for this competition;
- the year of production of the artwork for this competition;
- the dimension (Length x Width x Thickness) of the artwork for this competition;
- the medium(s) of the artwork;
- the creative rationale of the artwork and message intended to be conveyed for this competition; and
- the images of the artwork for this competition
Participants are allowed to submit their ‘artist statement’ and ‘creative rationale’ of their artwork in their preferred choice of language. Participants should take note that both ‘artist statement’ and ‘creative rationale’ carry weight in the evaluation of this competition.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Spotlight by Penang Art District (“the Competition”) is open to all Malaysian citizens and Permanent Residents of Malaysia aged between 17 and 30 years old excluding the employees of Penang Art District and their immediate family members, its promotion agencies, advertising agencies, PR agencies and any associate companies.
- This Competition is held in Malaysia only.
- Each participant is only allowed to submit only ONE entry.
- Medium is open and can include acrylics, oil painting, silkscreen, collage, ink, mixed media, wood, canvas, metal, cloth and others.
- The finished artwork can be in any shape or form provided it is 2-dimensional hanging display within the minimum of 2ft x 2ft or a maximum size of 4ft x 4ft.
- The quality of the photo for the application has to be 1000×1000 px minimum, more than 72 dpi
- The artwork(s) submitted by the Participants must be originally produced by the Participant.
- Any participant found to have submitted more than one entry shall be disqualified.
- All artwork will be judged based on the following criteria and each criteria will carry 25%:
- Originality and creativity
- Concept and ideas
- Use of medium / Artistic finish
- Overall impression
- All costs incurred in participating in this Competition (including the framing of the artworks) shall be at the sole expense of the participants.
- The organiser reserves the right to extend any date specified for the Competition contain herein and the decision will be made at the sole discretion of Penang Art District.
- The organiser reserves the right to change, suspend or vary the Competition’s Terms and Conditions contain herein at any time, wholly or in part by way of posting such changes on Penang Art District’s official website or in any other way deemed suitable by the organiser without prior notice to the participants and the decision will be made at the sole discretion of Penang Art District.
- By participating in this Competition, the participants agree to be bound by the Competition terms and conditions contain herein (“Terms and Conditions”) and to the decisions of Penang Art District shall be final and binding in all respects.
- The Terms and Conditions shall be governed by laws of Malaysia and the participants hereby agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in Malaysia and consent to service of process by mail or in any other manner permitted by the laws of Malaysia.
- A waiver (whether expressed or implied) by Penang Art District of any of these Terms and Conditions or of any breach of or default by a participant in performing any of its obligations under these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a continuing waiver and that waiver shall not prevent the organiser from acting on any subsequent breach of or default by the participants under these Terms and Conditions.
- Penang Art District shall not be responsible nor shall accept any liabilities of any nature and however arising or suffered by the participants and/or any third parties resulting directly or indirectly from the conduct of the participants to participate in this Competition